Wednesday, March 30, 2011

In this blog I want to focus on the troops serving over seas during the war right now, and the way they live on their bases.  I want to look at the ways they live, see how sustainable their bases are, and maybe think about ways that the sustainability of military bases in foreign lands could perhaps become even more sustainable.  I wanted to look into this because my father is in the Marine Corps and is currently located in Afghanistan.  I have communication with him through email, and the occasional phone call, but usually that is for catching up.  I do know about his life over there, i've seen pictures of his base, and he tells me about it too, but I would like to get a little better picture of what our countries military bases are like over seas.  And I also hope to shed a little light on deployed military life to people who may not have a close one serving our country and may not know as much about what goes on over seas.  I would like to point out that this blog has nothing to do with pro war or anti war ideas, and I do realize that everyone has their own opinions on this topic, I will not discuss it, it has nothing to do with sustainability.  My focus is on the "home life" of the service men, how their bases are set up, etc. I would also like to point out, that even if you are not pro war you should always respect and support our countries service men, they are an honor to our nation and risk their lives to uphold our constitution and our rights, and we should thank them regardless of our political stance.

So in class on Tuesday of this week, there was a guest speaker, Steven Bertman, who I thought was pretty awesome, very entertaining and just a good speaker in my opinion.  He discussed the topic of carbon footprints, and how we make our carbon footprint.  He gave us a few numbers on the where the United States gets their energy from, 85% comes from fossil fuels (I can't be the only one who finds this number jaw dropping), 8% from nuclear energy, and a PATHETIC 7% from renewable sources such as solar, wind, hydroelectric, geothermal, and biomass.  Energy from the sun only makes up .07% of all the energy the U.S uses.  But heres where things get crazy.  In one hour the United States alone gets enough sunlight on it's surface to generate enough electricity for  the entire nation and more.  But instead we burn through fossil fuels.  Then the idea was brought up of having a 50 by 50 grid of solar panels out in Arizona or Texas to generate energy for the U.S, how efficient and sustainable would that be to power our nation?  And then one pessimist brings up, "well how are we going to maintain this? How are we going to harness this energy into something useful?"  It made me think, when the first person struck oil did a how to manual spring out too telling everyone how to power the world with it? NO! People used their heads and figured it out, if people can have the knowledge and creativity to build and power everything we have now running on fossil fuel why can't we just recreate using solar energy?  And this tangent got me thinking.....
In the bases over seas, like my dad's, everything is powered by generators.  Lots and lots of generators.  My dad even said in an email once, "I often think when I am walking home at the end of the day how nice it will be to walk outside and not hear a generator."  Well what if they didn't use generators?  What if they had solar panels set up to power up their bases?  The panels could be placed even on the top of their tents, chow halls, their gym, wherever.  It could be more efficient and cost cutting for the military.  There would be lest money spent on trucks transporting out oil, and research shows that on a large base the use of solar panels can reduce the amount of fuel generators use from 25 gallons a day to 3 to 5.  Thats a substantial difference.  
Just an idea, it might be nice to have a moment of silence and clarity over there I can imagine.  

2 comments:

  1. I've never thought about sustainability in the military. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea!! In a time when the 2 of the three biggest issues are war & the environment (the economy being the other), its awesome that you're linking them!! Excited to see whatelse you blog about.
    Oh, and thank your dad and the rest of his men for me!

    ReplyDelete